SEARICE is a member of the organizing body in charge of the celebration of World Food Day 2012. This year’s activities will be held at the Quezon City Hall Grounds begining October 16 through October 18, 2012.
|World Food Day 2012, October 16-18, 2012, Quezon City Hall Grounds|
|October 16||October 17||October 18|
|PUBLIC FORUM:Women’s Market & Local Economy: Presenting Our Alternatives||DEVELOPMENT PARTNERS’ FORUM:Introducing the rural women agenda and initiatives||PUBLIC FORUM:Right to Safe Environment and Climate Justice|
|Rice Olympics||Dialogue with the PNP Gender and Development Division||Demo of women’s products|
|Brown Rice Campaign||Product Development Sessions||Information of women’s organizations|
|Demo of women’s products: Fisheries||Community assembly on Freedom of Information|
|Closing Ritual: Philippine Commission on Women (PCW)|
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations celebrates World Food Day each year on 16 October, the day on which the Organization was founded in 1945.
The objectives of World Food Day are to:
- encourage attention to agricultural food production and to stimulate national, bilateral, multilateral and non-governmental efforts to this end;
- encourage economic and technical cooperation among developing countries;
- encourage the participation of rural people, particularly women and the least privileged categories, in decisions and activities influencing their living conditions;
- heighten public awareness of the problem of hunger in the world;
- promote the transfer of technologies to the developing world; and
- strengthen international and national solidarity in the struggle against hunger, malnutrition and poverty and draw attention to achievements in food and agricultural development.
World Food Day was established by FAO’s Member Countries at the Organization’s Twentieth General Conference in November 1979. The date chosen – 16 October – is the anniversary of FAO’s founding in 1945.